Monday, October 4, 2010

Summer Absence

Well, as of early July I paused my bike commute. It was hot as all get out and the bus stopped the Southside Express for lack of riders. Most people have trouble with winter commuting, mine's going to be summer.

We did, however, get our first cold front in late September and it's now delightfully cool. I've also tweaked my route: my new route is slightly longer, but a much better ride. Less traffic, wider roads, and more shade.

But I haven't solved the problem I always have: cargo.

I currently wrap up my purse (with phone, ID, and entry card), plus whatever I'd forgotten to stock my work locker with, in to a small, soft-sided bag that came with my luggage. I then bungee it to the rack and off we go.

While I've been looking for a rack trunk, I've been disheartened to find that they're almost all completely, boring BLACK.

First I decided to make my own, using an adorable bicycle-themed fabric I scored on Etsy. My original plan was to waterproof it (either by having it laminated at $60/yard or via linseed oil for old school oilcloth). This looked to be expensive and time consuming.

And then I found this one. First off, it's YELLOW. Have you ever seen such a happy little trunk? It's also got fold-up panniers, which would come in handy in case I unexpectedly needed to carry more cargo. It also comes with a little waterproof sleeve (a raincoat!) to put over it in case of inclement weather; though the reviews say that it does a good job of staying dry even without it.

I did, however, leave Houston WITHOUT the adorable yellow rack (I decided that buying 2 jerseys, new cycling shorts, an "I <3 My Bike" T-shirt & a mini air pump was enough bike-related spending for the weekend)...but am now having my Houston-based friend buy it for me & send it back with her family. I can't wait to try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment