Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cycling in Fashion

I've noticed something odd.

Last Saturday, I biked to the Farmer's Market. On the way I stopped at a convenience store to get some cash, and had a nice little chat with a lady there about my bicycle (my "errand running" Huffy cruiser), the dangers of cycling in Corpus, and what good exercise it was. I was wearing a skirt (with short underneath, of course), sandals, and a tank top.

The other day I biked to the grocery, and as I locked up my bike had a family admire it (the little girl even asked her mom why THEY never got to ride their bikes to the store!) & chatted about my baskets and how much they held. I was wearing a sundress and matching pink tennis shoes.

On commute days, I'm in full regalia--padded bike shorts, jersey, tennis shoes--and no one says a word to me. Stuck in traffic, pausing for a bottle of water at the corner store, waiting at a bus stop, I seem to suddenly be "Other". A Spandex-clad Creature forcing her way on to the road, not to be engaged.

Has anyone else noticed similar treatment? Is "the serious cyclist" intimidating?

3 comments:

  1. Both times it was with females who might have liked the whole stylish cycling look.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I always wear my normal clothes that I wear to work (skirts, high heels, nice sweaters) and frequently people comment about how nice I look on a bike. Lycra seems to breed hostility. I merely abandonned Lycra because I look like a stuffed sausage in it.
    The triathlon types seems to wear it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Megan: Good call. Maybe that's all we need to convince more ladies that cycling is fun: dress up! :)

    @She Rides a Bike: I've seen the pictures, and you do look nice! I definitely prefer it to the Lycra, though it's not always practical (darn it!)

    ReplyDelete