Thursday, October 7, 2010

Love and Bicycles

Five years ago, I fell in love with a bicycle. It was the Dahon Cadenza, a glorious folding hybrid. I tracked one down on eBay for $600 or so, and I still love it.

Earlier this year I picked up a fixed-gear cruiser for running errands and, while it's comfy & good for cargo, it's not a love affair like my Cadenza.

Today, however, I found something that rocked my world: the Dahon Ios XL.

The one thing I'm iffy on is wheel size; the Cadenza has 26" wheels, and going down to a 20" wheel seems a little scary. I do like my visibility, and the Cadenza is literally a perfect fit for me.

But. But but but. Look at how SLICK it is. How small it folds! And the bells and whistles! *fans self* The fenders, the built-in light, the AMAZING ReeCharge system... You can charge your phone or iPod while biking. This is THE commuter bike, am I right? Pop on my rack and I'm ready to rock!

The problem? It's $1500. The very cheapest I've found it for is $1349.

Plus that would mean I have 3 bikes...unless I sell one of them to pay for the Ios XL, but that sounds a little like selling a child.

If I had children. But I could hardly afford both children AND bicycles, now could I?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah. That's sweet. I really struggle with how many bikes I really need. Want is another story but I can always convince myself that I need another bike. I vow to only "need" one more bike, an Workcycles, Oma (and maybe a Specialized Dolce) and then I'm done. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the best possible addiction! Sure you run out of room, but look at all your options for rides!

    Just one more...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dahon ios xl has 24" wheels not 20".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thank you Lauren! I guess I read that wrong. Still in love, though!

    ReplyDelete