Thursday, September 8, 2011

"Cold" Front

Despite the fact that the vast majority of Texas is on fire, here it's actually gotten cooler.

This is, of course, relative. It's amazing how much cooler 91 degrees feels after 107.  I set my mind to commuting Wednesday, and was delighted to find that the temperature as I left the house was in the 60s.

Have I mentioned that it's been in the 80s overnight for the last three months or so?

Like a kid on Christmas morning, I actually woke up early.  Made myself a good breakfast, and hit the road.

I rode quickly through town, smiled at the first shades of sunrise making their way across the bay, and even better: arrived at work, for the first time in recent memory, without being bathed in sweat.

And it seems to have kicked off a new health consciousness.  At the very least, I'm drinking water again instead of downing a 20 oz. Dr. Pepper whenever I feel the urge.  And I'm using my work breaks to walk around the block instead of surfing the 'Net.

The heat's creeping up a bit again, but my plan is to ride again Friday.  Perhaps fall back in to my routine.

And definitely hoping for another cold front!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amanda, I just stumbled upon your blog. Guessing you're in the Corpus are. Glad you're braving the commute, I lived in New Braufels until Sept, have since moved to CO, the cold is wonderful and the bike infrastructure makes me realize how sad Tejas can be for alternative transportation. Keep up the great work, and keep commuting!

    ReplyDelete