Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Technical Difficulties

Well, a vacation (Europe for two whole weeks with Grandma & little cousin) and some technical difficulties (my computer absolutely DIED), but: I'm up and blogging once more. What's more: I have had a religious experience.

On a bike.

Barcelona Bike Share
Barcelona is a city of bicyclists, but it's a city gone mad with bicycles. There are bikes in the street, bikes in the bike lanes, bikes on the sidewalks, bikes on the Metro. It was a perfect example of "why all bicyclists should ride in the street" instead of on sidewalks packed with pedestrians of all speeds, abilities, and powers of observation. Aside from the packed thoroughfares, Barcelona also has a beautiful bike share (which I couldn't use because I don't have a chip-and-pin credit card) and numerous bike rentals (though the sign we followed led to a store whose single employee said they didn't rent bikes).

Next we ventured to Narbonne, which was MUCH smaller and had an amazingly well staffed Tourist Information Center. While my companions took off for the Narbonne Plage, I plunked down 10 Euro and hit the road on two wheels. After cruising the city center for a bit, I happened across the "trail" along the canal--a lovely, idyllic little ride that produced a plethora of pictures--before coming to the end/beginning of my adventure. The paved path ended, but an obviously well traveled dirt path remained.

Fork in the Road
I've got hours before they're back, I reasoned, I might as well keep going! I rode along the canal, occasionally passing walkers, runners, or fellow bicyclists, but more often alone. The path was pleasantly shaded by huge trees, and as I got further outside of town I was riding along beside vineyards and terra-cotta-tile roofed cottages. I could see mountains in the distance. I was passed by a boat heading in to town, everyone waving merrily.

I came upon a large farmhouse that looked like it'd been there forever, and finally a map to help me get my bearings. A sign post proclaimed that Narbonne was 6,5 km back the way I'd come while Gruissan was 7,5 km from the fork. I left the dirt path for the first time and took to tiny roads surrounded by fields. I rode over a rickety little bridge, paused to snap a picture of a fairy tale tower rising from the trees, and felt utterly at peace. This is what a bike ride should be like, I thought; no glances over my shoulder in paranoia because I'm riding with texting drivers....just the breeze and the sun and the steady whirr of wheels over the road.

And now I have a new goal: to bike across France. Not, perhaps, the entire country. But starting with a trip through the Loire Valley. Or the Cote d'Azur. Regardless of what path I choose, I'm sure it'll be wonderful--though I don't know if anything can surpass my surprise Narbonnaise ride this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment