Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Paris, London, San Antonio...

A few years ago I went to Paris with my grandmother, and fell in love with the Velib idea: bikes available to borrow at locations all over the city, an easy ride from one to the next. I was also dismayed to find out that my American credit cards wouldn't work in the automated kiosks (you can now purchase a ticket online, however, which makes me want to go back even more).

It's spread both internationally and domestically, and has now spread to a city quite close to me: San Antonio.

This is a FANTASTIC idea. For one, San Antonio's downtown area is fairly condensed. The Alamo, the Riverwalk, La Villita, Hemisfair Park & the Tower of the Americas, are all pretty close to one another...though perhaps far enough apart that you wouldn't want to walk.

Nor would you want to give up your drove-around-the-block-three-times-trying-to-find-an-empty-parking-space steps from the Riverwalk.

So a bike share is PERFECT.

My last trip to San Antonio I was surprised by how many cyclists were whizzing around downtown. They continued steadily even after dark, as tourists stumbled back to their hotels, a stream of lights bouncing along on two wheels in front of the Alamo.

I can't wait to join them!

No comments:

Post a Comment